The University of Maryland has reversed its decision to allow a pro-Palestinian event on the popular campus green, McKeldin Mall, on Oct. 7 after initially giving a permit for the space to be used by the UMD chapter of Students for Justice in Palestine. The school cited a need for “an abundance of caution” given the highly charged nature of the anniversary.
UMD President Darryl Pines announced the change in a letter to the community on Sept. 1 after concern was raised from campus Jewish groups, students and parents when news of the permit was broken on Aug. 30.
“Applications for events led by several student organizations have been submitted for October 7, and questions have been raised about the events of the day. Numerous calls have been made to cancel and restrict the events that take place that day, and I fully understand that this day opens emotional wounds and evokes deeply rooted pain. The language has been charged and the rhetoric intense,” Pines wrote.
Pines’ letter added that only “university-sponsored events that promote reflection” would be held on Oct. 7, and events that required permits would be allowed to continue the day after.
The letter further clarified that the cancellation was not intended to suppress the First Amendment rights of students but instead have a mind for campus safety, although Pines confirmed that a safety assessment found no evidence of threats.
The UMD SJP told The Washington Post that its planned event was a vigil meant to honor the Palestinians killed since Oct. 7.
The reversal was met with relief from campus Jewish groups but simultaneously raised alarm about why the decision needed to be made in the first place.
“While we are reassured by this decision, we are distraught that it had to be made at all. We wish that we could have utilized campus space to grieve together as a community. As always, we hoped to promote unity at the university,” UMD’s Jewish Student Union wrote in an Instagram post.
Einav Tsach, a junior and the president of UMD Mishelanu, the Israeli American Cultural Association on campus, said that Jewish students were relieved with the decision but that there was a mix of shock, panic and disappointment when they found out about the
SJP event.
Emma Steinhause, a junior and vice president of the JSU, said that the group learned the mall had been booked for an event titled “Awareness,” without a group listed, which they eventually learned at the beginning of the semester was SJP.
Steinhause said that the group was frustrated but felt confident that the administration would work with the community to resolve its concerns and keep the campus a safe place for Jewish students on Oct. 7.
“Originally, we had wanted to book the mall, but since that was a non-possibility, we were just prepared to change our course of action and do something else,” Steinhause said.
The JSU announced in an Instagram story that it will be holding a remembrance event at the Maryland Hillel building, which is not governed by the university.
Tsach said the outlook after the permit decision is a bit of a mixed bag, with feelings of optimism and concern about what the rest of the school year will hold.
“We’re coming into a year where we’ve been through a lot together, and we have learned a lot about how things work, and we’ve become extremely united, and the level of communication and kind of teamwork that’s going on is unprecedented, really,” Tsach said.
But he added that there’s a sense of worry among Jewish students at events that “provoke and spin the narrative” and at “continued attempts to create what we perceive as a dangerous environment on campus.”
UMD’s SJP and Jewish Voice for Peace groups voiced their displeasure about the decision on Instagram, saying in separate statements that the university was attempting to silence their voices.
SJP said that the university gave into “Zionist pressure and threats” and was now denying them the right to hold their vigil.
“Our request to reserve McKeldin Mall violated no policies and was fully within our rights as a recognized organization at UMD,” the group wrote. “Rest assured that we will find ways to mark this one year of genocide and one year of resistance.”